Anthropology majors may choose an optional track within the major called Global Health and Environment if the students’ interests lie primarily within this area of Anthropology. Because this is an optional track within the major, and not a stand-alone major or minor, all students enrolling in the track must complete anthropology department requirements as well as fulfilling specific requirements for the track as outlined below.
Total units required: 34 units
- First or second majors in Anthropology must complete at least 34 units of Anthropology courses. 18 must be at or above the 300/3000-level of which at least 9 must be from the 400/4000-level.
- Majors should register under the L48 code for any courses that will count toward the major.
- Courses taken pass/fail do not fulfill the major (or minor) requirements, nor do courses in which a student earned less than a C-.
- Anthropology courses taken in University College can be counted toward the major.
Required departmental courses: 10 units
Anthro 150A Introduction to Human Evolution 3 units
Anthro 160B Introduction to Cultural Anthropology 3 units
Anthro 190B Introduction to Archaeology 3 units
Anthro 397 Proseminar: Issues and Research in Anthropology 1 unit
Required courses for GHE Track: 6 units
Anthro 3283 Introduction to Global Health 3 units
Anthro 361 Culture and Environment 3 units
Electives: 18 units
18 advanced units must be chosen from this table: 12 units from list of Global Health electives and 6 units from list of Environment electives.
- 9 units of elective credit must be at the 400 level.
- Students may petition to have up to 6 study abroad credits count toward the electives in the GHE major track. Students should contact the Prof. David Browman, study abroad coordinator for the anthropology department, to discuss the requirements for study abroad credit.
- Students may also petition to count a thesis course (either 4951 or 4961), independent study course (490) or internship (300) toward the major. Please contact Alyse Kuhlman for a petition form.
Declaring an Anthropology Major: GHE Track
Declare the major on WebSTAC under the Major Programs link. Make an appointment with Alyse Kuhlman, Administrative Coordinator by phone (314) 935-3621 or email. During your scheduled appointment you will choose a major advisor in consultation with Alyse Kuhlman, and she will introduce you to the requirements of the major and the resources of the department.
Audit List for Anthropology Major: GHE Track
34 units register under L48 code
Introductory/Proseminar/GHE: 150, 160, 190, 397, 3283, 361
Upper-level/Electives: 300/400, 300/400, 300/400, 400, 400, 400