Renee Thompson’s research centers on understanding the everyday emotional experiences of people across the lifespan, focusing on internalizing psychopathology. She is interested the dynamics of emotional experience, how and why people regulate their emotions, people’s beliefs about their emotions, and the bidirectional associations between social media use and emotion. She conducts research on children and adolescents (e.g., typically developing and those at risk for psychopathology) and a variety of adult samples (e.g., adults with current or remitted MDD), using a multi-method approach, including experience sampling and peripheral physiological assessment. She is principal investigator of the Emotion and Mental Health Lab.
- Liu, D. Y., *Springstein, T., Tuck, A. B., English, T. & Thompson, R. J. (2023). Everyday emotion regulation goals, motives, and strategies in current and remitted major depressive disorder: An experience sampling study. Journal of Psychopathology and Clinical Science.
- Liu, D. Y., Strube, M. J., & Thompson, R. J. (2021). Interpersonal emotion regulation: An experience sampling study. Affective Science, 2, 273-288. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42761-021-00044-y pdf
- Thompson, R.J., Bailen, N., & English, T. (2021). Everyday emotional experiences in Major Depressive Disorder in Remission: An experience sampling study. Clinical Psychological Science, 9(5), 866-878. https://doi.org/10.1177/2167702621992082
- Thompson, R.J., Liu, D. Y., Sudit, E., & Boden, M. T. (2021). Emotion differentiation in current and remitted Major Depressive Disorder. Frontiers in Psychology, 12, article 685851 https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.685851
- Thompson, R.J., Springstein, T., & Boden, M. T. (2021). Clarifying emotion differentiation. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 15(3), e12584. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/spc3.12584
- Bailen, N. H., Koval, P., Strube, M., Haslam, N., & Thompson, R. J. (2022). Negative emotion and non-acceptance of emotion in daily life. Emotion, 22(5), 992-1003. https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000898